BUFFALO FALAFEL SUBS
YIELD: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup hummus
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 submarine buns, split
- 2 cups thinly sliced Romaine lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In bowl of food processor fitted with knife blade attachment, pulse chickpeas, garlic, onions, egg, flour, parsley, baking powder, cumin, lemon zest, salt, black pepper and cayenne until chickpeas are very finely chopped. You don’t want the mixture to be a smooth paste, but you do want the chickpeas to be finely ground.
- Place 1/2 cup buffalo sauce in large bowl. In separate small bowl, stir together hummus and remaining 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce.
- In large pot or high-sided skillet, heat 2 inches of oil to 370 degrees F over medium-high heat. Form chickpea mixture into balls and slightly flatten each ball (each ball should be about 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons mixture; you should have about 24 falafel). In batches, drop falafel into hot oil and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until brown and crisp, turning once. Transfer falafel to paper-towel lined plate and continue frying remaining falafel.
- When all falafel are fried, transfer to large bowl with buffalo sauce and toss until well combined.
- Spread inside of submarine buns with hummus mixture. Divide lettuce over hummus, then divide falafel between buns (5-6 falafel per bun). Top with tomatoes and blue cheese and serve immediatley.